Six ways to get ready for May DayPosted: April 29, 2012
Instead of cross-posting ONYC’s Six Ways, we here at the VanMayday blog present our own version:
Six Ways to Prepare for May Day:
1. Decide to take action on May Day. You have the choice to act however you wish, despite the consequences — so evaluate your position, take stock of your personal power, and make a plan! This might include organizing a walkout at school or work, joining a demonstration, or making an individual statement either through subversive or overt mechanisms.
2. Spread the word. Use social media, posters, word of mouth, and other/more creative ways to encourage and embolden others to take action on May Day and beyond. Speak from your heart and get in it to win it!
3. Start or solidify your Affinity Group. Collect people you trust and share your plans for May Day with them. Work out whether you will do joint actions (flash mob? rally? picket? walkout?) or how you will support one another in individual ones (legal? medical? media?).
4. Prepare your Affinity group. Write handbills, make buttons, sew costumes, produce a video — whatever you need to do to pull off your intended action and to make sure people get the message. Got a callout for the general public? Email it to the blog at email@example.com.
5. Familiarize yourself with/Inoculate yourself against Media Spin. Watch videos of successful past May Day actions and review the classic authoritarian “spin” that is used to put down social movements. Here’s a very timely example.
6. Get a good night’s sleep, eat the healthiest food you can find, and drink lots of water.
See you in the streets!